Saturday, May 16, 2015

Gifted is not a word to be whispered

Last summer, I spent the entire summer delving deeply into special education issues. I read law book after law book, case studies, research and examples. I opened my eyes to the different ways that Autism and ADHD materialize in girls, options for treatment, struggles of middle school students and the many, many failures of special education in the US. I created my own professional development plans to become an expert in our school- to try to understand the nuances of each of our students a little better and to be able to help confidently draft meaningful and measurable IEP goals.  It was an awesome summer that made for a fantastic school year.

I've been wondering what to do for this summer to go deeper and study more. After all, true educators don't actually take "summers off"! In my five weeks of vacation, I need to plan my son's education for 8th grade, plan for the coming school year and tackle my own desire for more knowledge. Yep, that's "summers off" in my house!

My inspiration came to me a few weeks ago when a parent approached me to talk about her son at school. Her extremely bright, very talented second grader whom I have made many book recommendations for this year, is struggling making friends his same age. She asked me if I had any suggestions and I did give her some ideas. The following day, another parent approached me about her young kindergarten son who barely made the age cutoff. He's finishing up second grade curriculum now at breakneck speed and sucking it up like a sponge. She wanted to know if she should hold him back and do kinder again, because he's so young. Then she whispered "I think he might be....gifted..."

In that moment, I realized that the first mom also whispered about gifted. And I realized that in my halls at school, gifted is a whisper word. People talk freely about Autism, ADHD, behaviorists, ABA therapies, OT this and PT that. But gifted... that's a word to be whispered in dark corners. With that, I found my summer reading PD project.

How is it that I've spent years going gifted research for my own child, that I've analyzed lessons and developed plans for other families, that I've spent hours on Hoagies Gifted Page looking for information, gifts, ideas, book lists and more and yet, I haven't devoted a summer PD to gifted or taken my studies to the higher level of "Yes, but what about at our school?"

Gifted is not a word to be whispered. It's not a dark closet secret. It is a kid who is unchallenged, who is struggling socially and emotionally to make connections. It is a kid who is depressed by the weight of the world's challenges and no idea where to begin to solve them. It is a kid who is lightening fast at math and bored to tears at yet another science discussion that talks about three states of matter, knowing the info is wrong. It's a kid who feels stifled, but attempts to blend in as best possible for social capital.

This summer, I'll be reading anything I can get my hands on that will help me help our families stop whispering. I'm one step ahead of the game for things I've already read personally- so if you would like to read along start here:
Developing Math Talent, 2E
Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds
Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, Ocd, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders

I'll be reading:

A Nation Empowered

Plus:



And lots of articles from SENG and Davidson Institute for Talent Development.

No comments:

Post a Comment