Friday, September 5, 2014

Lessons I've Learned Teaching Minecraft

As a teacher, I often learn new things from my students or from the experience of designing the lesson, grading or creating the work. In nearly 15 years teaching, I don't think I've ever learned as much as I have in the past three weeks teaching Minecraft!

I designed my own course for an enrichment workshop I'm teaching at Natomas Charter PACT Academy. Students have an online reading assignment and an online quiz to take each week, based on a specific American symbol or icon we're studying. So far, we've tackled the Washington Monument, symbols like the Liberty Bell and the Bald Eagle and the Statue of Liberty. Students earn money in Minecraft for their quiz score and then go on to our school server to build this week's symbol.  Some of the important lessons I've learned this week:

Students *can* do it, if adults stay out of the way
I have students in 2nd through 8th grade working together. Some are novice Minecrafters, others consider themselves experts. Regardless of skill or ability in the game, the students are figuring it out! Through trial and error, they're working through their own challenges. Some are hesitant to build and be wrong, so they take longer. Others are hyper vigilant about a fellow classmate messing up their stuff on accident. The first few days I had over 100 emails from adults with questions, concerns, comments and more questions. As soon as I encouraged the adults to all step back and let the kids have at it, the email volume slowed down by about 90% and the students really stepped up.

Students need the tools to work entirely online
In our new technologically advanced world, we take many things for granted. As part of the last generation who grew up without internet, I remember a world where I had to go to the library to do research, scheduling a time to work on a group project and having to negotiate to get a ride there to do it. My Minecraft class takes place entirely online, at the student's own pace and time. They grew up in an internet world and for the most part, they have the tech skills to back it up. What they are severely lacking are the types of communication and interpersonal skills that are required in an online world. How do you ask for things in an online chat and get what you want? When do you need to use punctuation and check spelling and when is it ok to disregard? How do you make sure that the other person a few miles away in a computer can figure out how you're thinking and feeling, without getting offended? I thought I was teaching a history class in Minecraft. It turns out, I'm teaching an entirely different course about social emotional communication online. I LOVE it!

Students *can* do it, if adults stay out of the way
Wait... I know you're thinking "You wrote that one already!" and I did. But it's not just about the building and design, or individual student work. I have to reiterate this one again! Yes, some students have been angry, some have even cried in my office at school and been hurt and frustrated. Working out the kinks of online communication is very HARD! It's painful, it's frustrating and it's intense but it's 100% necessary. The kids have to do it themselves, with some gentle guidance and reminders. Just like on the playground or in preschool, when someone smashes down your block tower, you need to find the words and feelings to express yourself in a confident and appropriate way. And just like in preschool, when the adults intervene, they bring adult drama to the situation that might not have been there. I do intervene as the teacher and gamemaster, but only to offer coaching and suggestions for how to resolve the conflict and move on. No fingerpointing or judgement of parenting allowed.

Students will work harder than you can imagine for an engaging, collaborative experiment
I've really pushed my students these three weeks. They've read some incredibly boring National Parks websites and survived! They've learned about places they weren't particularly interested in, just for the opportunity to get quiz money and get back to building! They've had feelings hurt and pushed through. They've been unable to create the visual in their heads and learned to ask for help. Many of them have taken risks they wouldn't take in a traditional classroom because they don't have to have face to face communication or fear a conflict. They're bold and daring and I'm so incredibly proud!

Students will hold adults to a higher standard when they're engaged
Trust me, if my work and quiz isn't posted by Saturday, I'm getting emails about it! I've never had students email me begging for the next homework assignment in all of my teaching career. They not only expect timely assignments but they demand it! No slackers allowed!


I expected to teach this fun little class for seven weeks for the students, little did I know they'd be teaching me! I'm already inspired to run it again and researching new ideas for our next session in the spring. I wonder what they'll teach me next time around!






No comments:

Post a Comment